The Town of Milton required a new operations centre to meet the needs of their growing community as well as to replace the existing works yard. The programming and preliminary design from KNYMH determined the careful integration and separation of staff spaces, administrative spaces and maintenance/storage/workshop spaces making for a successful operations centre plan.
The 44.23 acre site was master-planned to accommodate two phases of site development. Phase one consisted of:
- A 45,000 sq. ft. one-storey consolidated operation and administration building.
- A 3,700 sq. ft. automated drive-through truck wash building.
- A 4,000 sq. ft. unheated storage building.
- A six-bay covered truck storage and a 20,220 sq. ft. weatherproofed salt and sand storage facility.
- An asphalt paved work yard with a fueling station.
The facility was designed to achieve a LEED Silver Certification and focused on such sustainable design solutions as natural daylighting, water conservation, energy efficiency and renewable energy production, including a 300-panel, 65 kW solar photovoltaic system.