To meet the demands of the growing community, the Town committed to constructing a new Fire Station & Headquarters as part of the first phase of a larger development project at the corner of Rossland Road and Salem Road which will also see the future design and construction of a Municipal Operations Facility.
The new Fire and Emergency Services Headquarters is approximately 28,263 sq. ft. incorporating a multi-truck apparatus room with support space for Fire Fighters as well as an administrative office component and Emergency Response Centre for 911 calls. In the event of a major disaster, the Ajax Fire Station and Headquarters will be used as the main Emergency Operation Centre for the area.
This is a project of many firsts for Durham Region and the Town of Ajax:
- The first Municipal Building designed with LEED® principles;
- The first Municipal green roof design;
- The first Municipal geothermal design;
- The first Fire Training Facility and;
- Ontario's first Municipal Fire Headquarters registered with the Canadian Green Building Council (CaGBC).